4 Delicious Breakfast Salads You May Never Have Thought of
Wait a second – Salads, for breakfast? Believe me, I was not sure I wanted to do that to my guests. They are here to enjoy themselves, and that includes eating. This is the break they all get from eating green healthy stuff. But just keep reading and then after that book a room and try it. Really, I’m not a health food nut trying to convert you during a 24 hour stay. It is the rare guest who leaves anything, much less the salad on the plate at the end of breakfast. Read on, please…..
Breakfast at Hidden Serenity is something our guests alway look forward to, often comment on and frequently take pictures of. I have decided to post this blog because these are 4 delicious breakfast salads that I get the most feedback about.
Often I hear this – “I was unsure when I saw broccoli for breakfast, but this is really good. It surprises me.” Yes, broccoli can be a breakfast food, and when prepared with some sweet fruits in a salad it even surprises those guests that usually don’t eat it. Veggies like broccoli and peapods add some crunch to what could otherwise be a mushy fruit dish. And hey, we know it’s good for us too. Eating broccoli for breakfast can give you a great start to a fun day. Many of our guests are going to be out all day hiking, shopping, biking, sightseeing, skiing, snowshoeing or whatever they find to do in the area and they can use a decent breakfast to get them going. I know, you didn’t want to hear the “good for you” line, but we ARE talking about broccoli…..
Seriously, try one or all of these 4 delicious breakfast salads…..
- Broccoli Strawberry Salad – Broccoli flowerettes, sliced strawberries, cubed cheese. Mix with a small amount of mayo/vinegar/sugar dressing and top with sliced almonds.
- Broccoli Pear Salad – Broccoli flowerettes, chopped pears, sliced fresh cranberries(if in season), chopped walnuts. Mix with the same mayo dressing.
- Peapod Fruit Salad – Peapods cut bite sized, sliced strawberries, sliced banana, mandarin segments, fresh sliced cranberries (if in season). Mix in a small amount of maple vinaigrette and poppy seeds.
- Spinach Salad – Fresh spinach leaves, maple vinaigrette lightly sprinkled on top and any combo of these toppings –
- Fresh of dried cranberries
- pumpkin seeds, honey roasted peanuts or other seed/nut of choice
- Sliced mandarin segments
- Sliced pear or apple
- Cinnamon toast croutons or crumbs (a must, on top of this salad!)
If you have any doubts about eating these salads, book a room and come to breakfast with an open mind. And if you really don’t like it, I’m not offended. After all, it is your vacation and you can enjoy it any way you please.
U.S. Open Championship to be Held at Nearby Erin Hills
Time is ticking and the dates of the U.S. Open Championship held at Erin Hills are quickly approaching. Located just north of Milwaukee, Erin Hills is a beautiful golf course set in the rolling hills of the Kettle Moraine. What God has carved out, man is putting (pun intended) to good use. Saying it is a world class golf facility is just par for the course (pun intended, again). The world’s top players are flying in or possibly driving (sorry, again. I’ll stop now) to Erin Hills and the surrounding areas to compete for the title during the week of June 12-18, 2017.
Because this is a really BIG deal many people are converging on our area to attend the prestigious US Open Championship. Rooms are becoming harder to find. Staying in style at Hidden Serenity will take you away from the congestion of the Erin Hills area and provide you with comfort and restfulness you will need during your breaks from the course. Our five luxury rooms offer amenities such as small in-room refrigerator, robes, snacks, beverages, fireplaces, private baths with tubs and showers and luxury sheets.
Start the day with a freshly ground, french-pressed coffee or Sally’s famous fresh herbal tea, as well as a gourmet breakfast before heading out to Erin Hills. Return later and relax on the front porch swing or the back deck and wildlife watch with a beverage in hand. If it’s a little more exercise you need take a stroll on the trail on the property and do some bird watching. You could even challenge each other in a game of tennis or pickle ball on our sport court. There is no lack of things to do unless that is what you’d like….nothing to do and completely enjoying the time off.
Hidden Serenity is located north and east of Erin Hills, nestled in the Kettle Moraine area. If your fancy is to do something other than attend the tournament for part of your stay, there are many great ideas close by such as a jaunt to Lake Michigan, a visit to MOWA (Museum of Wisconsin Art), take a hike on the Ice Age Trail, relax at Hidden Serenity, maybe shoot a game of pool or read, or go back in time at The Wade House Historical Site. Seriously there are things to keep you busy if you want, or places to just hang if that is what you would like.
Check out our website to see what is available and make a reservation or give me a call today to secure a room. Lodging is bound to book up and you want to stay in style and luxury during your visit.
#1 Romantic Escape in January at Hidden Serenity B&B
The #1 romantic escape during the month of January is a debatable topic. If you reside in the cold weather climates, you may think going to a nice warm beach or location where you don’t have to bundle up for the freezing cold is at the top of your list. But consider this list:
- Steamy Jacuzzi, soaking tub or two person shower
- Cozy chairs near a fireplace
- Slowly swinging on romantic swings in the woods
- Snuggling up in a comfy bed to watch a good movie or do something else…..
- Stare into each other’s eyes while enjoying a gourmet breakfast that neither of you had to make or clean up after
- Dinner at a nice restaurant
All of these things can be enjoyed at Hidden Serenity Bed and Breakfast, your #1 romantic escape destination. Everything mentioned above can be enjoyed at anytime of the year, so why did I emphasize January? Read on….
The #1 romantic escape for January starts and ends at Hidden Serenity Bed and Breakfast, this is what makes it THE #1 romantic escape —–
- A Horse Drawn Sleigh Ride – Picture this– snuggle together on a sleigh ride through the woods, enjoying the trees illuminated with delicate lights along a path. Horses pulling the sleigh along, possibly a moonlit night and stars lighting the sky. Both before and after you may want to gather with others around the campfire and warm up or cook a snack. Venture inside a beautifully decorated and heated barn to play a game or hang out. This is a night to remember and could be marked by a special event!
Book a room on a Friday or Saturday in January along with the Horse Drawn Sleigh Ride Package and experience THE #1 romantic escape in January. Of course it’s debatable what the #1 romantic escape really is, but this sounds pretty good, doesn’t it?