Wait a second – Salads, for breakfast? Believe me, I was not sure I wanted to do that to my guests. They are here to enjoy themselves, and that includes eating. This is the break they all get from eating green healthy stuff. But just keep reading and then after that book a room and try it. Really, I’m not a health food nut trying to convert you during a 24 hour stay. It is the rare guest who leaves anything, much less the salad on the plate at the end of breakfast. Read on, please…..
Breakfast at Hidden Serenity is something our guests alway look forward to, often comment on and frequently take pictures of. I have decided to post this blog because these are 4 delicious breakfast salads that I get the most feedback about.
Often I hear this – “I was unsure when I saw broccoli for breakfast, but this is really good. It surprises me.” Yes, broccoli can be a breakfast food, and when prepared with some sweet fruits in a salad it even surprises those guests that usually don’t eat it. Veggies like broccoli and peapods add some crunch to what could otherwise be a mushy fruit dish. And hey, we know it’s good for us too. Eating broccoli for breakfast can give you a great start to a fun day. Many of our guests are going to be out all day hiking, shopping, biking, sightseeing, skiing, snowshoeing or whatever they find to do in the area and they can use a decent breakfast to get them going. I know, you didn’t want to hear the “good for you” line, but we ARE talking about broccoli…..
Seriously, try one or all of these 4 delicious breakfast salads…..
- Broccoli Strawberry Salad – Broccoli flowerettes, sliced strawberries, cubed cheese. Mix with a small amount of mayo/vinegar/sugar dressing and top with sliced almonds.
- Broccoli Pear Salad – Broccoli flowerettes, chopped pears, sliced fresh cranberries(if in season), chopped walnuts. Mix with the same mayo dressing.
- Peapod Fruit Salad – Peapods cut bite sized, sliced strawberries, sliced banana, mandarin segments, fresh sliced cranberries (if in season). Mix in a small amount of maple vinaigrette and poppy seeds.
- Spinach Salad – Fresh spinach leaves, maple vinaigrette lightly sprinkled on top and any combo of these toppings –
- Fresh of dried cranberries
- pumpkin seeds, honey roasted peanuts or other seed/nut of choice
- Sliced mandarin segments
- Sliced pear or apple
- Cinnamon toast croutons or crumbs (a must, on top of this salad!)
If you have any doubts about eating these salads, book a room and come to breakfast with an open mind. And if you really don’t like it, I’m not offended. After all, it is your vacation and you can enjoy it any way you please.