It’s been a pretty fantastic summer in our little part of Wisconsin, but we’re already starting to look forward to the explosion of Wisconsin fall colors to come! If you’re looking for a fantastic and immersive view of some of the best Wisconsin fall colors, head to Parnell Tower in the Kettle Moraine State Forest. Fall colors typically reach their peak in this area anywhere from mid-September through October.
The Kettle Moraine State Forest is one of the best places in the state to enjoy Wisconsin Fall Colors – and that is particularly true when you take the time to climb to the top of Parnell Tower. Parnell Tower is located in the northern unit of the Kettle Moraine State Forest and is only a short 20-minute drive from our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast.
Speaking of great places to immerse yourself in the beauty of fall in Wisconsin, there’s nowhere better to spend a few relaxing days than our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast, itself surrounded by a lush forest of vibrantly hued trees in the fall. There’s plenty to do in the area each fall if you want a bit of adventure, but you don’t have to go far to enjoy the best the season has to offer.
Don’t wait until it’s too late. Book your room at the most romantic Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast today!
Parnell Tower offers Spectacular Fall Views
You’ll find Parnell Tower in the northern unit of the Kettle Moraine State Forest near the town of Plymouth, Wisconsin. At 60 feet tall, the Parnell Tower is the highest point in the Kettle Moraine State Forest and offers a commanding view of not just the woods below, but the surrounding farmland as well. On a clear day, you can see upward of 25 miles in every direction from Parnell Tower.
To reach Parnell Tower, you’ll need to take the 3.5-mile Parnell Tower Loop Trail. There are a few stairs at the start of the trail, and then of course more stairs as you climb the 60 feet of the tower. Due to the stairs, it’s considered a moderately challenging hike, but the rewarding views are more than worth it.
Fall trips to Parnell Tower and the Kettle Moraine State Forest are about so much more than the Wisconsin fall colors – it’s also a great time to enjoy the sights and sounds of birds migrating through the area. It will take you approximately 90 minutes to complete the loop – more depending on how often you stop to enjoy the foliage or birds flitting through the trees, and, of course, depending on how much time you spend atop Parnell Tower itself.
More Ways to Enjoy Wisconsin Fall Colors
Parnell Tower isn’t the only great place to enjoy breathtaking views of Wisconsin fall colors. In fact, Parnell Tower isn’t even the only place inside the northern unit of the Kettle Moraine State Forest worth visiting! There are plenty more fantastic places nearby to see some of the best Wisconsin fall colors. Below, we’ve listed a few of our favorites.
- The Parnell Tower Trail isn’t the only great hike to take in the northern unit of the Kettle Moraine State Forest. Spend an afternoon on one or more of these hiking trails, and enjoy the magical beauty of Wisconsin fall colors all around you!
- If you’re going to make the 20-minute trek to Parnell Tower, you should definitely take the time to wind through the roads and enjoy a scenic drive in the Kettle Moraine State Forest.
- Biking is also a great way to explore the beauty of the Kettle Moraine State Forest in the fall. We have e-bikes at our Wisconsin Inn that you’re welcome to rent for the day, along with our preferred routes in the area.
- Seeing Wisconsin fall colors from the water is a truly special experience. There are some lakes in the Kettle Moraine State Forest that are suitable for kayaking and paddling, and rentals are available.
- Fall is also a fantastic time to witness the fall bird migration at the Horicon Marsh National Wildlife Refuge. Birds aren’t all you’ll enjoy here, though, as the marshy areas and its wooded surroundings take on the beautiful, golden hues of fall, too.
Last but certainly not least is our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast. Our wooded property is ideally situated for you to enjoy the best of fall in Wisconsin. Don’t wait until we’re fully booked – plan some time just for you this fall. Book a room at our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast today!